Photographs And Information About Mount Best in Victoria
- Where Is Mount Best – Take the South Gippsland Highway to Foster, Welshpool or Toora and follow the signed roads towards Mount Best.
- How Long Will It Take To Get To Mount Best – A relaxing and very scenic 15 minute drive from the South Gippsland Highway inland towards the mountains (from Foster, Toora or Welshpool) will take you to the top of Mount Best.
- Mount Best Lookout – From the lookout you have 360 degree views encapsulating Wilson Promontory and Mount Oberon, Barry’s Beach, Foster North hilltops and magnificent valley views across to Mount Fatigue.
- Mount Best Art, Craft & Photography Exhibition – This event is officially opened every Eastern Saturday when the Judges Prizes are announced. It runs until Easter Monday with the presentation of ‘The peoples Choice Award’ at around 4pm. Prizes in all sections total over $1500 and it is highly recommended to visit at least once, so you get to see the talent and quality demonstrated by their local art community.
- Mount Best Hall, Church And School – The first public hall was built close to the top of the mountain in 1902 and the first school opened at Mount Best in the same year. In 1905 a Methodist church was also constructed but on January 23rd the following year (Black Thursday), several homes plus the church and school were destroyed by bush fire.
You can find more details about the history of Mount Best on the South Gippsland Website.